Monday, August 17, 2009

Shanghai Girls

by Lisa See

This is a touching and heartbreaking story of two sister from Shanghai, Pearl and May. They are free spirited modern young women in the 1930s. Then their father loses everything and gives them as wives to pay off his debt. Their journey to the United States and the life they make here is full of tragedy, but also moments of hope and beauty. Underneath it all, though, there are family secrets and the hidden jealousies of sisters.

I have never been one who is interested in Eastern cultures, but this book fascinated me. This is a hallmark of a good book to me. If the characters or setting capture my imagination enough to make me want more then I know the author has done her (his) job. I will be reading more of this writer.

What really fascinated me about this book was the description of life for the Chinese during WWII and the Cold War. While I was shocked at their treatment I also was saddened to think that we have done the same to people of Middle Eastern descent in recent years. It really spoke to me about how we have not changed.

0 comments:

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com